Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Africa Update #5

Can I share with you a story from God's Word?

One day two men went to the temple to pray. One was a religious leader and the other was a tax collector. The religious leader stood up to pray. He thanked God that he was not like other men such as thieves, adulterers or even this tax collector. He boasted about fasting twice a week and giving a tenth of all he had.

The tax collector stood at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven. He beat his chest and said "God, I'm a sinner, have mercy on me."

Jesus said that the tax collector, rather than the religious leader, went home guiltless before God. "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

That was a story from God's Word (specifically Luke 18:10-14). What did you like from this story? What did you not like from this story? What does this story say about man and his character? What does it say about God and His character? What did you learn from this story that you would like to put into practice?

I'm sure you're wondering at this point what this post is all about. :) Well, this is the story-telling technique that I mentioned in my Africa Update #2. It's an example of one of the many stories I've been working on leading up to this trip. As I mentioned previously, the Ethiopian people relate better to stories than almost any other form of discussion. The questions after the story are to allow them to begin to dialogue about the story without us "telling" them what any of it means. It's better if we allow them to come to conclusions on their own (with the help of the Holy Spirit, of course).

To me, this particular story is short but very powerful. Not unlike most of us, Ethiopians are very "works based" meaning that they believe they must do certain things to meet approval. This can be approval of families, friends, bosses, and even God. And I guess in many of those instances, there are certain requirements that we must meet (i.e. at work). But here's the good news and what I hope to share in Ethiopia, because of the sacrifice of Christ, God accepts us (approves of us) just the way we are...tax collector or not. We don't have to fast (as the religious leader in this story) or take pilgrimages to escape God's judgment. He just wants us to humble ourselves before Him as the tax collector did. I'm so thankful for that. And I'm so humbled that He would use me to share this with people halfway across the world.

At 17 days out, I'm getting more and more excited about this trip! I can't wait to see what God is going to do through us. I pray in the process that God will change me, my heart...that I'll never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment