My flight to Ethiopia leaves in a little more than 48 hours!! Until probably 10 minutes ago, I have felt mostly stress this week as I get ready to leave...to the point that some of my excitement has been buried. That is NOT what I want to feel the week that I'm leaving for this amazing trip! Thankfully, through the prayer of friends and family (and getting an e-mail from Team 1 that is over there right now) my joy and excitement has returned! If you have not had a chance to check out the Watermark Africa blog, you've got to do that...http://watermarkinafrica.blogspot.com/! It's so encouraging! This blog will be updated daily (technology permitting) while both teams are in Ethiopia...with pictures as well. Temperatures have been in the upper 60's to lower 70's during the day and 50's at night. It is the rainy season and apparently it has been raining nonstop since the first team has arrived...lots and lots of mud! :)
This morning as I was studying God's Word, I read the story of the sick woman who touched Jesus' garment and was healed (Mark 5:24-34). This is not the first time I've heard the story but something different struck me. In verse 30 it says "At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, 'Who touched my clothes?'" Ok, let's think about this...do you really think Jesus didn't know who touched his clothes? This is the same man who knows people's thoughts before they are spoken. Look at Mark 2:8..."Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this is what they were thinking in their hearts...". No, I believe Jesus knew exactly who had touched his garment. He just wanted the sick woman to come to him in truth so that he could bless her and give her eternal (not just physical) freedom from suffering . "Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at [Jesus'] feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her, "Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering." (Mark 5:33-34) I love that! That is all we have to do...by faith and in truth we are to confess to Jesus. What He will give in return is much more than we could ever imagine...healing and freedom from sin...and a reserved place in God's kingdom (see John 14:2-3).
So what does that have to do with this trip? EVERYTHING. Since Jesus is no longer on this earth, He has asked us to be his disciples...Matthew 28:19-20 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." While physical healing won't come by touching our garments, we can offer spiritual healing through our Lord Jesus Christ. And that is what this trip is all about!
Please continue to pray for the team that is there now and for those of us that will leave on Friday! Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your prayers and support! We couldn't do this without you!
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment