This is a topic I have struggled all my life to understand. The Bible is full of passages which encourage us to praise God in the midst of our pain. In Psalm 69:29, David says, "I am in pain and distress; may your salvation, O God, protect me." And in the very next verse (69:30) he says, "I will praise God's name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 tells us..."Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." Even Habbakuk realized in the midst of starvation and loss the importance of rejoicing in the Lord.
Habakkuk 3:17-19 (NIV)
"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."
But why? And how? My experience has been that when I look to the Lord and focus on His goodness...by praising Him...it takes the focus off of my pain or problems. It changes my perspective. And it also allows me to begin to let go and let Him take control...to trust Him. I don't believe He expects us to actually say "thank you for this pain that I'm feeling" but rather that he wants us to say, "Thank you, Lord, that through this pain you are in control and will work even this for my good." (Romans 8:28) I've found in doing this...praising God, trusting Him in the midst of pain...He gives peace. It doesn't mean everything goes away and the pain instantly ceases, He just provides strength for the moment. Praise God!
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment