Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My God is Sovereign

I have thought, read and heard the word "sovereign" probably 4 or 5 times in the last few weeks. This past Sunday our message at church was about humility...which I could write a whole separate post about. But in this message, Blake Holmes was talking about one way to offer humility to God is by acknowledging that God is sovereign (there's that word again) and good in all of our circumstances. So as I read from a devotional/journal on Monday entitled "Daughters of the King Journal" by Kathy Miller, the word "sovereign" jumped off of the page at me. I love this journal because on the left side of every page is a letter written to "My Precious Princess and Daughter" from "Your Heavenly Father the King". They are so precious to read because it truly feels as if God has written this directly to me. While I would love to put the entire letter here, for copyright reasons I had better not. But I will share just a few sentences..."I am in control. I am sovereign. I am able to make things happen the way I want them to go. Yes, I do allow you to make your own choices. And I know you don't fully understand how these ideas can operate side by side. But I'm able to work within and around the choices you make to cause My ultimate purposes to succeed. For this, you must trust Me."

Sovereign in the dictionary means "having supreme rank, power, and authority," "being preeminent or indisputable"..."greatest in degree, utmost or extreme"...and I especially love this one..."being above all others in character, importance, excellence." Psalm 93 describes God in this way..."The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty; the Lord is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved. Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity. The seas have lifted up, O Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea - the Lord on high is mighty. Your statutes stand firm; holiness adorns your house for endless days, O Lord."

Our God is majestic...he cannot be moved or shaken...everything in creation bows before Him...He is mighty in power and in strength...and yet He is holy and righteous....He is just and good...Our God is sovereign and in control!

There are few things that can provide comfort in a broken world like knowing that no matter how bad it gets or perhaps how badly we have behaved that God is still in control. He STILL has our best interest at heart (Jeremiah 29:11). We cannot "mess our lives up" to the point that He can't help us and give us a renewed life...one that we never dreamt we could have. He is in absolute control at all times! Doesn't that give peace to your heart? It does mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment