Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ethiopia: A Testing of My Faith

James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

My experience to Ethiopia this year was very different than last year. It was wonderful but also very challenging for me. The Lord moved in mighty ways each and every day we were there. They shared with us at the end of our week that more than 4,500 people had heard the gospel and more than 400 accepted Christ over the entire three week period that our teams were there. Obviously numbers are not important in the grand scheme of things as the angels in heaven celebrate for each and every soul that chooses eternity with Christ. But it's still amazing to me to see how God can use just 60 people willing to be His "hands and feet" over a short three weeks. Imagine what we could do if we were that obedient in loving people and sharing the gospel for 56 weeks here in our own backyard? This trip always convicts me of that truth.

This year we were in an area called Huruta. It was located in the mountains about an hour drive north of where we were staying. I have never seen such beauty...rivers, waterfalls, beautiful flowering plants! Even the picture attached here doesn't do it justice. Every day that we journeyed out into "our" little village my breath was just taken away by what we saw. More than once I know I said "I cannot possibly be in Ethiopia." And I was reminded of Isaiah 55:12 where even the mountains and the hills praised the Lord. The first day we went into the village, there was hardly anyone around because they were all working in the fields. We encountered a handful of children and women and were able to share the gospel...some accepted, some didn't...but we were thankful for the opportunities. As our first day was coming an end and we were getting ready to leave, I looked down in front of me and noticed three little girls and one boy. They were just standing there looking up at me. So I thought, why don't I share a story with them? And with the help of a translator I told them the story of Zacchaeus from Luke 19. We talked about how Jesus loved even the man that no one else did. From there I shared the story about Christ and what He did for all of us. These precious children professed to accept Christ that day. And suddenly what seemed like a somewhat "fruitless" day, God used to change my perspective.

By Wednesday night of that week, I became very sick. Our best guess is that I picked up a virus of some kind. I was so dehydrated and weak the next day that I didn't get to go out into the village for our last day. I felt very disappointed. I had come all this way to share the gospel and in that moment it was difficult for me to understand why this had happened. Not only that, but I had to miss our final worship service celebration and farewell to all of our disciple makers and translators. So I ended the week on a bit of a sad note. It wasn't until our flight back to Dallas that I felt like the Lord began to show me that this trip was as much about the testing of my faith as it was proclaiming His name among the nations. Isn't that funny? God never ceases to amaze me with the tools He uses to grow my own faith as well.

This last scripture that I want to share was one that was on my mind often while we were in Ethiopia. I still take tremendous comfort in this promise from the Lord.

Isaiah 55:8-11 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways", declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yield seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Thank you so much for your prayers and support during this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment